So far I have learned a lot about the dangers of drinking. I have learned much more though, like alcohol poisoning occurs when there is so much alcohol in the bloodstream that areas of the brain controlling basic life-support functions, such as breathing, heart rate, and temperature control, begin to shut down. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning include confusion, difficulty remaining conscious, vomiting, seizures, trouble with breathing, slow heart rate, clammy skin, dulled responses, such as no gag reflex (which prevents choking), and extremely low body temperature. Also underage drinkers may be at particular risk for alcohol overdose. Research shows that people under age 20 typically drink about 5 drinks at one time 1. Drinking so much alcohol can overwhelm the body’s ability to break down and clear alcohol from the bloodstream. This leads to rapid increases in BAC and significantlyy impairs brain function. Also I have learned a alcohol use disorder is a medical condition that doctors can diagnose when a patient’s drinking causes distress or harm. In the United States, about 17 million people have an alcohol use disorder. Beyond these physical and mental health risks, heavy drinking also is linked with personal problems, including losing a driver’s license and having relationship problems. Although many people enjoy moderate drinking, defined as 1 drink per day for women or 2 for men, drinking too much can lead to an overdose. One important thing I have learned was that cancers caused by alcohol include mouth, upper throat, food pipe, voice box, esophagus, liver, bowel, and breast cancer. Excessive drinking at any one occasion reduces your body’s immune system for up to 24 hours. Every two units of alcohol consumed each day raises your risk of bowel cancer by 8 percent.